Joniškis St James the Apostle Church is situated in Joniškis, on the north-western bank of the lake Arinas. The first church was built by Jesuits in 1726. With the care of the parson F. Petrauskas and the congregation the timbers of the church were changed in 1848. The church is rectangular, with two towers, three-wall apse and 2 lower vestries. Inside consists of 3 naves with columns. A fence of a churchyard is stonework. The priest Stanislovas Šlamas (1866-1951), the distributor of banned press, is buried in the churchyard.
The monument was built in 1928 in the centre of the little town, opposite the church. In all the planes of the obelisk there are inscriptions and national symbols. In 1952, local destroyers tried to break the monument. After the failure to do so, they tumbled it into a pit dug nearby and buried. In 1988, the monument was excavated and preserved. In 1990, the monument was restored at the expenses of the Council of Joniškis district and collective farm.