Jews have settled in the lands of Moletai and Utena three centuries ago. Alanta synagogue is a model jewish house of prayer and education of those times. Moletai jewish commercial buildings are important for their architecture. In addition - jewish trade and crafts were prospering in them. Traditional jewish art symbols and writings in hebrew are chiselled out on tombstones at ancient jewish cemeteries. Tragic fate of jews during holocaust has been eternalized in the monument at mass grave in Moletai.
The wooden synagogue in Alanta is one of the very few wooden places of worship of this type remaining in Lithuania. Considering its shapes, it is speculated that this place of worship was built in the second half of the 19th century. Its façades are divided by braces, the windows of the men's hall are semi-circular arches with profiled edge surrounds while the two-storey section has small rectangular windows. Certain requirements determined the specific shapes of the building: divisions between the areas for men and women were required as well as between the areas for reading (bima) and storing of the Holy Scripture. After World War II, this synagogue was used as a grain warehouse. Restoration is currently underway.
This place is about 1 km to the southwest from the town centre. There is a path from the road to the grave. The tombstone is surrounded by a concrete curb. Beyond the grave, there is a monument - a concrete slab. In this place, on the 29th of August, 1941, Hitlerian invaders shot about 700 Jews.
The remained cemetery beyond the stadium is surrounded by a fence, but it is abandoned and not preserved. Most monuments and burials are in the upper part of the hill.
This is a significant object of the town Molėtai, which has survived at least two fires that ravaged the town and remained until now. In the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th century, most of the residents of the town Molėtai were the Jews. In 1870, they accounted for two thirds of the town's population. Almost all trade was in the hands of the Jews. To the present day, a red-brick building has survived in the centre of Molėtai. Before 1940, the building housed private Jewish shops and residential apartments on the second floor. At the moment, the building accommodates a variety of different shops, pizzeria.
Ayžieniškis village is located near the road Tauragnai-Kuktiškės. The northwest branch off
the road to the ancient Jewish cemetery of Tauragnai. Walking through Tauragnų forest road to the right
on the side of the cemetery territory. It is covered with a masonry fence covered with mosses.
Most of the monuments are in the western part of the cemetery. Most of them have been torn down, split, frozen
land or just the rest of their fragments. In the cemetery the surface of the earth is uneven, grass grows. Of all
Hundreds of Jewish ancient cemeteries are surrounded by forest, only on the northern side is a slope, which ends with the Labe
the lake shore.
The Jews tried to organize a funeral on the day of death or at least the next day. If it's Saturday -
do not carry out a large number of buried jobs. The deceased was transported to the cemetery in the woods
in the box Charged without a hurry. Thirty days after death, a memorial was held
ceremony at the grave. After that a tomb was built - macewo.
The oldest cemetery of the Tauragnai Jews is dominated by granite tombstones with carved records
Hebrew characters. These are the names, the names of the parents, the date of death according to the Jewish calendar. The monument
At the bottom, there are five letters in the Hebrew language that indicate the words from the Bible: "Let his (her)
the soul is bound to a unit of life ". In these cemeteries you can find monuments of the kennels (priests)
stones They are labeled with symbols: two palms adjacent to each other and the space between them
twist your fingers - the little one with an unnamed person and face to face with the grand. Kohenai - Moses the Prophet of the Jews
the descendants of the brother of Aaron.
A grave is usually used to visit the grave. The custom dates back to the time when the grave was placed
Marked only a bunch of stones.