Alanta Inn stands on the outskirts of the Alanta central square situated on the crossroads. The Alanta Inn was built in the first half of the 18th century. It is rectangular with an axial composition, consisting of two parts - a residential part and a coach house. A porch, which was in the centre, connected the coach house, the hall of the inn and the other residential premises. In 1892, after a fire, the building of the inn was reconstructed and the internal layout and the facades were changed. After the Second World War, its interior layout and facades were changed. The basement is made of stones, the walls - of stone and brick masonry.
The Alanta St Apostle Jacob’s Church was constructed in 1904-1912 under the project of K.E. Strandmann, the architect from Liepaja. The church was built in the style of Neo-romanticism, with two towers, hall-like, with 3 naves, of the Latin cross layout. The base of the church is of ashlars, the walls - of brick masonry, plastered, and the interior is spacious and bright. It contains 7 significant art treasures.
The wooden synagogue in Alanta is one of the very few wooden places of worship of this type remaining in Lithuania. Considering its shapes, it is speculated that this place of worship was built in the second half of the 19th century. Its façades are divided by braces, the windows of the men's hall are semi-circular arches with profiled edge surrounds while the two-storey section has small rectangular windows. Certain requirements determined the specific shapes of the building: divisions between the areas for men and women were required as well as between the areas for reading (bima) and storing of the Holy Scripture. After World War II, this synagogue was used as a grain warehouse. Restoration is currently underway.
The neo-classical buildings of the Mansion were built in the middle of the 19th century. The owners of the Alanta Estate were constantly changing. In 1828, Alanta was bought by a nobleman Pac-Pomarnackis. In the second half of the 19th century, his family built the Alanta Estate from brick and stone. A valuable art collection of paintings, furniture and oriental porcelain was stored here by the owners. In the 20th century, during the interwar period, the Estate was bought by Balys Sližys, the Minister of National Defence. During the Soviet era, there was a kolkhoz office, a cinema and a gym, a school and a library. The Mansion and the Park of Alanta Country Estate are protected by the state.
Currently, the established Art Gallery of V. Žukas that houses the author’s paintings, drawings, collages and ceramics is open on the ground floor of the Mansion of Alanta Country Estate. The other three halls are intended for touring exhibits and stage the exhibitions of contemporary Lithuanian artists. The facsimile drawings by Rembrandt were featured here in 2017.
The first floor of the Estate houses the Venerable T. Matulionis Museum, who was a native of the Alanta region. The exhibit includes the bishop-martyr’s letters from Soviet prisons and exiles and other documents. Some of the most valuable relics in the T. Matulionis Museum are the spectacles, a watch, a safety-razor and a rosary he brought back from the Solovkai concentration camp. There is a little altar he carved out in the Mordovian exile and some Christmas ornament cut-outs. There is also a bamboo cane upon which the bishop leaned during his Soviet-era Birštonas and Šeduva exile (1956-1962). Some of the Museum's exhibits are gifts received from the Latvian Varaklian and Bikava parishes, where Father T. Matulionis served in the beginning of the 20th century. There are 30 enlarged photographs from the bishop’s life on the walls of the T. Matulionis Museum.
Exposure time: Tuesday - Saturday 10 am to 18 pm. We do not work on Sundays and Mondays.
In 2019 on the 16th of February the museum of the blessed Teofilius Matulionis was officialy opened in the manor of Alanta. It became a subsidiary of Moletai region museum.
The restoration of the 19th century dukes‘ Pac-Pomarnackiai monumental manor of Alanta and its separate parts on the second floor was organized by Teofilius Matulionis charity and support fund (TM fund), registered in the manor. The restoration was sponsored by Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Lithuania and Moletai District municipality. Museum has 16 glass cupboards, display windows and tables; the light is dimmed owing to exhibited T. Matulionis letters from prisons, exiles and other original documents.
Most valued museum relicts of the blessed T. Matulionis: a pair of glasses, a watch, a razor, shirt cufflinks, a rosary, a small altar carved by himself during an exile in Mordovia, Christmas decorations cut out by him, his sister-in-law’s stitched bed linen where the blessed had slept, a bamboo stick which the Archbishop used in soviet Birštonas and Šeduva exile (1956-1962) after returning from Russian prisons. Almost all of these exhibits were given to the T. Matulionis fund and Alanta museum by his relatives.
A very significant part of the exhibits comes from Varaklianai and Bikava parishes (Latvia) where the priest T. Matulionis served in the beginning of 20th century: 15 stamps with Cyrillic inscriptions, obsolete liturgical items, early 20th century silver candlesticks, bells, clothing, Latvian weaving antependium. On the walls of the new museum: 30 enlarged good quality pictures, some of which are three metre length.
Summer season (June 1st – September 1st): Tuesday-Sunday 10.00 – 18.00
Autumn/Winter/Spring seasons: Tuesday-Saturday 10.00 – 18.00
The stone of Valiulis is in the forest, which is called a Sacred Wood. The stone is very large with the graven signs. On the western side of the stone, an arc and a boom are graven, and on the eastern - the sun, the moon, and a cross. All these signs are ringed with graven ovals. These are symbols. The stone of Valiulis is pale granite wreathed with stories and fables.
The mound is ~0,8 km to south-east from the village, ~0,25 km to north-west from the lake Glasmynas. A hill, 10-12 m in height, was used for the mound. The top site is oval with elevated centre. On the eastern base of the mound, there was a settlement. Some fragments of cultural layer remained until now (some firebrands, charred stones were found).
Date of construction – the beginning of the 20th century. It is surrounded by a beautiful landscape, situated next to Maišiakulė Mound. The mill is no longer in use.
The mound is ~0,4 km to the west from the village, to the north from Alanta, on the left bank of the river Vastapa, between the river Suoja and the lake Suojys. It is situated on the outskirts of the hill. The northern and eastern slopes of the mound are steep, up to 24 m in height. From the western and southern sides the mound is surrounded by a ditch and a wall. The top site is oval with the remains of destroyed wall at the edges.
It is situated on a conical hill. The mound is surrounded by a rivulet from the northern side and by farmlands from the other sides. Its slopes are steep, 4-7 m in height. On the western side of the top site, there are remains of a wall. A part of the site and the wall slipped down to the rivulet. In 1936, on the collapsing side of the mound, firebrands and thrown pottery decorated with an ornament of horizontal, waving and parallel lines were found. On the southern slope of the mound, the remains of an ancient settlement with the fragments of plastic rusticated and smooth pottery were found.