The monument was built in 1928 in the centre of the little town, opposite the church. In all the planes of the obelisk there are inscriptions and national symbols. In 1952, local destroyers tried to break the monument. After the failure to do so, they tumbled it into a pit dug nearby and buried. In 1988, the monument was excavated and preserved. In 1990, the monument was restored at the expenses of the Council of Joniškis district and collective farm.