The neo-classical buildings of the Mansion were built in the middle of the 19th century. The owners of the Alanta Estate were constantly changing. In 1828, Alanta was bought by a nobleman Pac-Pomarnackis. In the second half of the 19th century, his family built the Alanta Estate from brick and stone. A valuable art collection of paintings, furniture and oriental porcelain was stored here by the owners. In the 20th century, during the interwar period, the Estate was bought by Balys Sližys, the Minister of National Defence. During the Soviet era, there was a kolkhoz office, a cinema and a gym, a school and a library. The Mansion and the Park of Alanta Country Estate are protected by the state.
Currently, the established Art Gallery of V. Žukas that houses the author’s paintings, drawings, collages and ceramics is open on the ground floor of the Mansion of Alanta Country Estate. The other three halls are intended for touring exhibits and stage the exhibitions of contemporary Lithuanian artists. The facsimile drawings by Rembrandt were featured here in 2017.
The first floor of the Estate houses the Venerable T. Matulionis Museum, who was a native of the Alanta region. The exhibit includes the bishop-martyr’s letters from Soviet prisons and exiles and other documents. Some of the most valuable relics in the T. Matulionis Museum are the spectacles, a watch, a safety-razor and a rosary he brought back from the Solovkai concentration camp. There is a little altar he carved out in the Mordovian exile and some Christmas ornament cut-outs. There is also a bamboo cane upon which the bishop leaned during his Soviet-era Birštonas and Šeduva exile (1956-1962). Some of the Museum's exhibits are gifts received from the Latvian Varaklian and Bikava parishes, where Father T. Matulionis served in the beginning of the 20th century. There are 30 enlarged photographs from the bishop’s life on the walls of the T. Matulionis Museum.
Exposure time: Tuesday - Saturday 10 am to 18 pm. We do not work on Sundays and Mondays.