The Monument to the Soldiers killed for Lithuania‘s Freedom in 1920

The Monument to the Soldiers killed for Lithuania‘s Freedom in 1920

Forces attacked Giedraiciai. 2nd infantry regiment began an assault from Zelva. 9th battalion of infantry regiment began from Videniskiai. When lithuanians attacked in the direction of Giedraiciai intensive fights took place at Siupeniai (Siupeniai manor) and Seirunai manor farm buildings. Fights continued at Bekupe manor, four kilometers northwest of Giedraiciai. Polish soldiers held the front line at the elevation near Giedraiciai. They were supported by artillery fire from Martiniskiai manor. Here poles stood for the last time before lithuanian army units drove them away and entered Giedraiciai. Lithuanian army was back at original positions held before November 17th. Fallen polish soldiers were buried in Giedraiciai cemetery on November 23rd. Fallen lithuanians were buried in Giedraiciai, Zelva, Ukmerge cemeteries.

Battle activities were ended by the League of Nations. On November 29th an armistice was signed in Kaunas between the government of the Republic of Lithuania and representatives of Zeligowski. For two decades occupied part of Lithuania and capital Vilnius remained under therule of Poland.

Vilniaus g., Giedraičiai, Molėtų r. (55.075195, 25.260150) (View map)