On 9 October 1920, General Lucian Zeligovsky's unit captured Vilnius and continued its offensive to the west and north-west. On 17 November, the attack on Ukmergė launched by the Polish army stalled. They succeeded in capturing Širvintos and Giedraičiai. The attack was launched by the Lithuanian army on the night of 20–21 November. Part of the military forces attacked Giedraitis. The 2nd Infantry Regiment came from Želva, and the 9th Battalion of the 9th Infantry Regiment came from Videniškės. As the Lithuanians attacked in the direction of Giedraičiai, heavy fighting took place in the vicinity of Giedraičiai, near Šiupieniai (Šiupieniai Manor) and the outbuildings of Seirūnai Manor. Also, in Bekupė manor – 4 km northwest of Giedraičiai. Polish soldiers stopped at the heights of the front line against Giedraičiai, supported by artillery fire at Martiniškės manor. This is where the Poles made their last stand against the Lithuanians. Later, units of the Lithuanian army drove the Poles out of their positions and entered Giedraičiai. The site of the Battle of Giedraičiai is marked and commemorated by a symbolic cannon.